USCIS HELPS SECURE CONVICTION IN ALBANY COUNTY VISA FRAUD CASE
The USCIS assisted in the investigation that led to a successful jury vote, last month, to convict Dalia Lita, age 55, of Latham, N.Y.; Elina Rahman, age 45 of Watervliet, N.Y.; and Lubna Rahman age 45, of Watervliet, of conspiracy to commit visa fraud by submitting false information to the U.S. government in order to obtain immigrant visas. Homeland Security Officers in Albany assisted ICE special investigators by confirming and identifying fraud in these cases. Evidence presented during the 3-day trial established that in 2001, Lita filed petitions for her sisters Elina and Lubna with USCIS, knowing that those petitions contained false statements meant to conceal their true identities and prior, illegal residence in the U.S. In addition, as part of the criminal conspiracy, Elina and Lubna Rahman filed applications for family-based immigrant visas in 2012, knowing that the applications also contained the same false statements. Based on the false information the sisters provided, Elina Rahman and Lubna Rahman were issued immigrant visas although they were ineligible to enter the United states lawfully. Each of the sisters faces up to 5 years in prison and a maximum $250,000 fine, when they are sentenced on Jan. 14, 2019.
The point of this story is that it is a crime, and therefore, not a good idea, to try to trick the USCIS, or the State Department, into giving a visa, or visas, to family members.
- JUDGE ORDERS ICE TO FREE DETAINED IMMIGRANT CHILDREN BECAUSE OF COVID-19 - June 30, 2020
- JOE BIDEN AND TRUMP SURROGATE DISCUSS RACE RELATIONS AT AN ASIAN AMERICAN TOWN HALL - June 30, 2020
- YOU ARE WELCOME TO CONTACT ME FOR A FREE CONSULTATION - June 30, 2020
- VICTORY IN A BATTLE AGAINST INEFFECTIVE ASSISTANCE OF COUNSEL - September 20, 2019
- SUCCESS IN SMOOTHLY OBTAINING PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS FOR A GAY I-601A WAIVER APPLICANT - September 20, 2019
- HOW YOUR CASE IS PRESENTED TO THE USCIS OR THE COURT MATTERS - September 20, 2019
- USCIS HELPS SECURE CONVICTION IN ALBANY COUNTY VISA FRAUD CASE - September 20, 2019
- DHS NEW RULE WILL TAKE EFFECT ON OCTOBER 15, 2019 AND MAY AFFECT YOU - September 20, 2019
- VICTORY ON A BATTERED SPOUSE CASE - October 15, 2018
- A MEXICAN MAN JUST WON CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL (10-YEAR GREEN CARD) - October 15, 2018
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!